Although Amazon Fire phone wasn’t a runaway success, in fact it did quite poorly, there are still some people who own and use it. Well, there is some good news for them. Amazon is rolling out updates for the Fire phone that brings with it several improvements and some new features.
Both the versions of Amazon Fire phone are receiving updates. Handsets having the AT&T version are getting Fire OS 3.6.5 (125013320) and the unlocked GSM variants are getting Fire OS 3.6.8 (128003620).
Both software versions include new features and enhancements. A few major ones are given below:
* Translation of text and identification of famous artwork with Firefly
Firefly can translate text from/to: English, German, Italian, French and Spanish. It can also recognize 2,000 famous paintings and give information about them from Wikipedia.
* Taking the perfect photo with Best Shot
The rear camera will take three photos when you click to take a photograph. You can then choose the best one you want.
* Enabling/disabling SMS and MMS settings
You can now turn on or off the character counts. You can also turn the MMS on or off.
* Selecting additional keyboard languages
There are 7 preloaded keyboard languages and 49 more can be downloaded. You can choose whichever one you want.
* Other features include blocking unwanted phone numbers, adding custom ringtones to your phone, controlling music directly from the lock screen, writing and editing documents with WPS Office, connecting to VPN (Virtual Private Network) at work, synchronizing calendars across several of your Amazon devices, reading Kindle books by scrolling without touching the screen, enhancement in phone’s battery life and many others. The update also includes several bug fixes and UI improvements.
The Amazon Fire updates will be provided OTA so it might take a few days. However, you can download them in your phone manually by selecting Settings > Device > Install system updates >Check Now. After the downloading is done, select Install System Update to install it.