Sony mobile has rolled out Android KitKat 4.4 upgrade for its four Xperia devices namely, Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z. All these devices have been introduced last year and were running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean till now. Sony had earlier announced that it would be offering KitKat 4.4 updates for the said devices sometime in May and finally they are here.
The upgrade roll out began in a few selective markets from May 21 so that some of you may have already got it. Sony says other markets will be covered soon “over the coming weeks.” The updates will bring these Xperia devices up to the standard of Google Android 4.4 kitKat, providing better user experience and performance.
Sony has also brought about certain other improvements in functionality including:
- New user interface for Sony Play Station 4 with an improved and customizable status bar as well as the quick settings.
- Up gradation to the latest versions of native app portfolio including messaging, email, smart social camera and battery stamina mode.
- Enhancement in Sony’s media apps including Walkman, album & movies and their integration with its network cloud service.
- Sony’s custom interface ‘Xperia Themes’.
- Compatibility with Sony’s SmartWear stuff including SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app.
Sony has also announced that Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia M2 will get the Android KitKat 4.4 upgrades in the next round from July onward.