WireLurker is a malware program that has been reported to infect Macs running OS X and Jailbroken iOS devices. It has emerged as a threat to Chinese users for now, but if you think that your OS X Mac or Jailbroken iOS device has been infected by this malware then read this guide on how to remove it before it creates problems for you.
If your iDevice has been jailbroken and you believe that its been affected by this malware then follow these steps. Although be warned that these steps might be too complicated for some users. In that case you can easily restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch device from iTunes. It will be reset to the latest available iOS release.
Steps For Jailbreak Users
- You should have iFile from Cydia installed on your device or you should be able to SSH into your iOS device and access system directories.
- Go to /Library > /MobileSubstrate > /DynamicLibraries.
- Look for a file named sfbase.dylib
- If you are able to find this file, then your device has been infected. If not then you are safe and you don’t need to do anything.
- If you found sfbase.dylib then restore your device using iTunes.
Steps For Normal Users
There is no proof which suggests that your device will be infected by WireLurker yet. We can safely assume that Apple will take appropriate security measures to make sure that your device is safe.
Please let us know if your iDevice was infected by this malware in the comments below.