Android unveiled Android 5.0 or goes by the name “Lollipop” earlier this week. Now, the version is available to be downloaded for developers to start getting ready for the final release of the upcoming operating system.
Lollipop is considered a huge release for the app developers. There are more than 5000 new APIs, the new Material Design visual style, power saving mode and enterprise features that the developers can make use of.
Google has also published a set of preview images for Lollipop on Nexus 5 and Nexus 7. The new developer preview is based on build lpx13d. However, the first new devices with Android 5.0 OS are not expected to be launched in the nearer dates. The developers will need to ensure that everything is working properly before the launch of Nexus 6 or Nexus 9.
Today’s SDK release is following the Android L Developer preview SDK which made available right after Google I/O. Since the L Developer SDK preview was released, there has been changes on the various APIs and behaviour thus if you are using it, you should update now to test your apps and also to take advantages of the new features.
To get the latest Android 5.0 SDK:
- Start the Android SDK Manager.
- Go to Tools -> SDK Tools -> SDK Platform Tools à SDK Build Tools.
- Select All under Android 5.0 section and click install packages.
- Accept the licensing agreement and click install.
- if you previously installed the Android L Preview SDK, select all those packages in the SDK Manager and click on Delete Packages.
And you’re set to go!