The research team at Microsoft has been working on a mobile app for creating Hyperlapse videos for quite some time now. The company has now launched the Hyperlapse Mobile app for Android and Windows Phone. This app helps to convert first-person videos into shake-free smooth timelapse videos called the hyperlapse videos. The app is similar to the Hyperlapse video app from Instagram which at present is available only for iOS devices.
The app is free and available for download on a few select Android and Windows Phone devices. Devices running Windows Phone 8.1 and Android 4.4 or higher (KitKat and Lollipop) are supported.
Main features of the Hyperlapse Mobile app are:
- Users can select a timelapse speed while capturing video which gives timelapse with a smoothly moving camera.
- Users can import an existing video from the phone and hyperlapse it to get smooth and stabilized videos.
- The app allows the user to hyperlapse a video at speed rates from 1x to 32x.
- It allows user to create selfie timelapses.
- It has a simple user interface.
Windows Phone devices where the Hyperlapse app can be installed are Lumia 435, Lumia 530, Lumia 532, Lumia 535, Lumia 630, Lumia 635, Lumia 636, Lumia 638, Lumia 640 and 640 XL, Lumia 730, Lumia 735, Lumia 830, Lumia 930 and Lumia 1520 as well as HTC One M8. Wndows Phones below 8.1 are not supported and Phones with 512 RAM cannot record at HD resolutions.
For Android, beta version of the Hyperlapse app is available on Google Play Store and for this you have to join the Microsoft Hyperlapse Mobile for Android community on Google+ and become a tester. The app works on following Android devices:
- Samsung: Galaxy S5, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge, Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge;
- Google: Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 9 tablet;
- HTC One M8 and M9;
- Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact;
- OnePlusOne; Xiaomi Mi4 and Motorola Droid Turbo.
Check out some videos made using the Microsoft Hyperlapse Mobile app: