Mobile gaming has become quite popular as people are increasingly playing games on their smartphones and tablets. Last year, Sony had provided PlayStation 3 DualShock 3 support to Xperia smartphones and Xperia Tablets. The PlayStation 3 controller provides a much superior gaming experience.
There are many apps that enable Android phones to pair with DualShock 3 but they involve rooting the phone which is complicated. But now since Sony has integrated this functionality into its Xperia devices, it becomes easy as no rooting is required. Sony’s flagship Xperia Z2 and other Xperia devices such as Xperia Z, ZL, Z Ultra, Z1, and Tablet Z support the PS3 DualShock controller.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to connect the PS3 DualShock controller to Xperia Z2 and other compatible Xperia devices:
- Before beginning the process, you need to keep 2 things on hand- A USB OTG on-the-go adapter and the charging USB cable provided with the PS3 controller. The USB OTG cable is used to connect the controller to the Xperia Z2 and is not very expensive.
- On your Xperia Z2, open the ‘Settings’ menu and select ‘Xperia Connectivity’. In this, choose the option ‘DualShock 3 wireless controller’. When this menu is opened for the first time, you get a tutorial. If not, you can directly select ‘How to connect a controller’.
- Now, connect the charging USB cable to the PS3 controller and connect its other end to the USB OTG cable. Now plug the free end of the USB OTG cable into the Xperia Z2 smartphone. Once the connection is set up, the wizard takes you to the next step.
- Select ‘Next’. This will activate the Bluetooth in the Xperia Z2 and the smartphone will now communicate with the PS3 controller through Bluetooth.
- Click ‘Finish’, exit and disconnect the connecting cables.
You can now use the PS3 DualShock controller to play games in your Xperia Z2.
Android games supporting the PS3 controller:
All Android games are not supported by the PS3 controller. Some of the games that can be played are: Vice City, Dead Trigger, Zombie Gunship, Max Payne, Raiden Legacy, AirAttack HD etc.
You can check the games description to see if it is ‘Controller Supported’. If it is, then you can play it on your Sony Xperia Z2. The games can be downloaded from Google Play or Play Store Mobile.